Accidents in the UK frequently take into account what are known as “uninsured losses” but in Spain they don´t.

Uninsured losses will typically include such things as the cost of a taxi home, hire car costs, inability to work and therefore loss of earnings, payment of policy excess etc, all very important if you have been involved in an accident which was not your fault.

In the UK you can opt to add legal assistance cover to your premium, but Spanish insurers will not allow for these extra costs and although you may be able to claim back a reimbursement of your policy excess, it is highly unlikely that any other costs will be considered.