• house-icon

    Household FAQs

  • car-icon

    Vehicle FAQs

  • Or View All

Yes, Spanish policies are no exception to insurance policies worldwide and there will be specific exclusions in every policy, so check documentation carefully.

All Nash Warren policies have been selected to include details which are specific to Spain, so for example, Spanish policies will include provision for damage caused by electrical surges, something common in Spain, but not on UK policies.

All Nash Warren policies are in English, so there are no unwelcome surprises for those who take the trouble to read them through.

However, it is important to note that large-scale natural disasters are dealt with by what’s known as a Consorcio. In short, all Spanish insurance policies contribute to this vast fighting fund which covers any major natural disasters, and in the case of such eventuality ( flooding, earthquake) the Consorcio processes the claims.

Remember that as stated above, valuables in holiday, or second homes are not covered, so it is important to extend the cover on your principal residence or take out additional travel insurance.

It’s important to note that there is a distinction between valuables cover if the property insured is a second home.

If the property insured is a first residence, then Nash Warren can automatically cover valuables up to 20% of your contents sum insured in total. If you have valuables with a single article limit worth more than €5,000 or 7.5% of the contents sum insured, they can still be insured, but they will need to be specified separately on the policy schedule. Valuations will only be required in the event of a claim.

However, this does not apply when the insurance cover is for a second property. If you wish to insure valuables kept on a temporary basis in a second property, then it is important to extend the policy on your primary residence or contract travel insurance.

Not unless you have arranged all risks cover. Check your policy or make sure you specify that you wish to include cover for theft, loss or accidental damage outside your home and within the geographic area you have chosen – Europe or Worldwide.

Don´t worry. Nash Warren can supply Spanish language policies as required, as we deal with not only UK companies, but also Spanish.

Yes, Nash Warren has a specific policy designed to give cover for small holiday apartments, which gives the same cover as for a domestic home.

Be aware that although those who own apartment s in holiday blocks will probably have buildings cover on the structure of their apartment, their contents will not be insured. ( and neither will their bicycles, etc)

Contents insurance is designed to cover anything which is not physically part of the structure of your property, in a nutshell, all the items you would pack and take away should you choose to relocate.

This includes your furniture, soft furnishings, electrical appliances, clothes, valuables, personal possessions, kitchen equipment etc.

It is highly advisable to discuss specific item cover if you have particularly valuable individual items or jewellery, as various policies will have certain exclusions. It is also particularly important to check conditions for high value, high-tec items in this modern day and age as there are exclusions relating to some mod-cons and communications equipment.

Be careful if you work from home: items such as your PC may not be covered unless they are for personal use, business equipment must be insured under a business policy.


I never know whether to insure my house for the rebuild cost or market price, what should I do?

This query has become particularly relevant since the onset of the Spanish economic crisis as in some cases it is cheaper to buy a property than build one, so it is important to make sure you insure your property for its fuller build cost.

It’s well worth paying an architect to give you a full re-build quotation to make sure you insure your property for sufficient value.

It’s important to make sure contents are insured for their REPLACEMENT COST: skimping on insurance really isn’t worth it should a claim be necessary.

A buildings insurance policy is designed to cover the material structure of a property.

In general it covers the structure itself, fixtures and fittings, NOT the contents against the specific eventualities quoted in your policy.

It generally includes fixtures and fittings, namely toilets, baths, fitted kitchens, fitted bedrooms, fitted cupboards and decoration.

Nash Warren policies also typically include swimming pools, gates, fences, tennis courts, drives, garages and other outbuildings – which are all covered under the Nash Warren Home policy.

Different insurers specify different time periods for which the vehicle may be driven outside of Spain on a Spanish policy, so please check with us if you are intending to take the vehicle outside of Spain for more than a month.

In general, there is no additional charge for cover to the following countries:

All EU members, Isle of Man and Channel Islands, Finland , Norway and Switzerland

Please contact us if you are intending to take the vehicle to any other country as an additional premium may be required or your insurance cover may not be valid.

No. In Spain it is the vehicle which is insured, not the driver. Most Spanish policies allow any driver to use the vehicle providing they have a legal and current driving licence, but of course, it is very important for you, the driver, to make sure that the vehicle you are driving is fully insured and legal.

You own insurance policy will normally specify who is allowed to drive your vehicle: should you wish to add additional drivers to your policy please contact us as an additional premium may be necessary.

Non-commercial vehicles under 750 cwt can be towed, but it is important to check the size and weight of whatever you are towing as Spanish law requires separate MOT’s and log books for larger trailers and caravans.

It is highly advisable to take out separate insurance policies for caravans as the standard cover for the item being towed will only cover legal liabilities should you be involved in an accident, but doesn´t cover any damage to the actual caravan or trailer, its contents, or if the caravan/trailer is not attached to your vehicle at the time of accident.

Yes. If you have written proof of an existing no claims bonus from your UK insurer, then this can be transferred to Spain.

Accidents in the UK frequently take into account what are known as “uninsured losses” but in Spain they don´t.

Uninsured losses will typically include such things as the cost of a taxi home, hire car costs, inability to work and therefore loss of earnings, payment of policy excess etc, all very important if you have been involved in an accident which was not your fault.

In the UK you can opt to add legal assistance cover to your premium, but Spanish insurers will not allow for these extra costs and although you may be able to claim back a reimbursement of your policy excess, it is highly unlikely that any other costs will be considered.

In Spain it is highly advisable to photocopy all documentation and keep a copy of everything in a safe location as this is the land of obsessive bureaucracy and copies of documentation are frequently requested during administrative procedures. It also minimises the problems should your documentation disappear.

Nash Warren recommend that whenever you leave your vehicle unattended that you take the documents with you or follow the procedure above to “compulsar” your documentation so you don´t have to carry the originals.

However if you don’t have copies or lose the originals, then you will have to arrange to replace them before your claim can be settled.

Vehicles in Spain are subject to frequent police checks, and carrying documentation at all times is obligatory.

You must carry:

Driving Licence

The car’s Ficha Tecnica (showing the technical details of the car) or Log Book if UK registered

All your insurance documents – receipt, certificate of insurance (for UK vehicles) and Green Card.

By law, the documents in your vehicle should be the originals, but it is possible to photocopy them and then take them to your local police station and ask them to “compulsar” the documents, ie stamp them with an official stamp to verify that these are certified copies.

It is legal for UK nationals to own and drive UK registered vehicles in Spain, but only for short periods.

In 2014 traffic laws were amended. It is now obligatory for foreign residents to rematriculate UK registered vehicles.

UK registered vehicles may be brought with you when you come to Spain but by law you can only use them for six months in any calendar year in Spain. The vehicle must be legal in its country of origin, ie taxed and MOT’d. Any non-resident who changes to resident status after six months must either import the car into Spain, which can be expensive and complicated, and re-register onto Spanish plates, or sell it and buy a Spanish registered vehicle.

Is it obligatory to produce an MOT Certificate in order to purchase insurance for a UK registered vehicle being imported into Spain?

Spanish law requires that all vehicles using Spanish roads be roadworthy and Nash Warren advises all those considering bringing a vehicle to Spain to ensure that all paperwork is in order before importing the vehicle and that the vehicle is in roadworthy condition as fines can be very steep for those breaching Spanish road traffic laws.

Nash Warren will insure your vehicle without the original document being presented as proof of insurance, but advise all clients that should the vehicle not possess the required documentation and be involved in a road accident, that failure to have an MOT could invalidate your policy, and therefore your claim.

Failure to produce this documentation should you be requested to do so by the authorities, could also result in a steep fine.

At one time it was easy for UK vehicles to be accepted for testing at Spanish ITV (MOT equivalent) centres, but this is becoming less common, and some will refuse to test and certificate UK registered vehicles. Also remember, that if you have a UK registered vehicle, it must have an up to date MOT certificate in order to be deemed roadworthy, so take that into consideration when deciding to import a vehicle.

Spanish Law follows the same basic pattern as road traffic laws in other countries throughout member states of the European Union – all vehicles using the roads must have insurance for third party liability risks as a minimum level of cover. This applies to both vehicles on Spanish and UK registered plates. All motor policies issued to cover vehicles using the roads in Spain must fully comply with the regulations of all EU member states.

Nash Warren insures both UK and Spanish registered vehicles owned by expatriates in Spain, although advises owners of UK registered vehicles to re-matriculate their vehicles should they be intended for permanent use in Spain due to changes made in road traffic regulations in 2014.

What our customers say

“Nash Warren provided me with a level of service I have not received before by any other insurance company I have dealt with. I found their staff to be friendly and gave me a quote to rival any other insurance company online.”
“Was very pleased that we found Nash Warren on the web, they gave me a very competitive quote and was impressed with their service.”